My jenkins builds are taking too long mainly due the lack of memory. I mainly use jenkins to verify that my software work on different operation systems (GNU/Linux distributions / *BSD / Solaris).
Looking for a solution that is still affordable I ended up with building a dual Xeon workstation. CPU and memory comes from www.ebay.be
- CPU: 2 * Intel Xeon E5-2660v2 This CPU has 10 cores and 20 thread, so I get 40 threads.
- Motherboard: Asrock EP2C602-4L/D16 I choose this motherboard because it has a lot of DIMM slots so I can upgrade the memory in the further. Downside is that layout is SSI EEB that limits the case choose.
- Memory: 4 * SAMSUNG M393B2G70BH0-CK0 16GB which gives me 64 GB ECC memory
- CPU Cooler 2 * Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer C For the first I used watercooling mainly because I wanted to make sure that the cooling will not block the access to the DIMM slots.
- PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold I needed a power supply with 2 * 8 pins CPU connectors.
- Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro This case supports SSI EEB and is not too expensive.
**Still need to verify if jenkins works on this system :-) **